Tuesday, July 29, 2014

You trust me, right?

The adventure has already begun and we haven't left Boston yet!  Last night we took a three-hour intro to rock climbing class to prepare us for our Iceland travels. 

Neither of us had ever done any climbing.  With the help of Rob, our incredibly patient instructor, after about 45 minutes of buckling, clipping, knot tying, and lots of tugging we were all geared up (and slightly frustrated). 
But that was the easy part.  Then we actually had to scale these three-story-high walls by climbing up these impossibly tiny, irregularly shaped little plastic knobs stuck in them.  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  But we did it.  Both of us.  Several times each. There I am on the wall in the pic below.




That's where the trust piece came in big-time.  Because while I was climbing up that wall, Amanda was my "belay" --  she was holding taut the other end of the rope that was tied to my harness.  She was all that was preventing me from death if I slipped.  So now I know that I really do trust her! 

1 comment:

  1. I guess with 20 hours of daylight there is not much nightlife in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete